Discover The Self-Help Anxiety Miracle!

Monday, February 2, 2009

Self-Help Anxiety Breathing Technique: One for the Road

The last self-help anxiety breathing technique was meant to be practiced in calm surroundings. Ideally, we'd like to be able to retreat to a peaceful escape at will, but life's not that simple. Most of the time we're surrounded by noise, stress, and hurry.

The next self-help anxiety breathing technique is meant to be practiced anywhere, and is especially useful when a quiet moment is no where to be found. Each day we're faced with challenges that can rise our levels of anxiety, or even trigger a panic attack. A great way to avoid such occurrences is to identify the moments leading up to an anxiety ridden episode and steer yourself in the opposite direction.

The other day I was having my own edge of insanity moment in my car while driving to work. An early morning bout of anxiety usually begins the same way each time. It starts with me leaving the house too late to arrive at work on time. Then I start internally cursing all the slow and inconsiderate drivers who need to get out of my way and let me get to work on time. It's interesting to observe how your mind works in situations like these. I always laugh at the irony afterwards when I really examine the logic of what I'm getting mad at.

Let me explain...

My mind is saying grouping all the drivers in front of me as "people in my way". People who are slowing me down from achieving my goal of getting to work on time. The truth is just the opposite. I'm in there way!

I'm the one who left late for work. I shouldn't be on the road. I should be at work. But early morning late for work Mike doesn't see things that way. All the drivers on the road don't belong in his opinion. Really funny when you think about it.

Anyway, that's not the point of this post. I just needed to go off on that tangent today. The point of this is the self-help anxiety breathing technique I used to bring me back to a calm center before arriving at work.

I caught my mind thinking in this negative manner early enough. First I admitted defeat and came to terms with the fact that I wasn't going to get to work on time, and it was my own fault since I left the house late. Next I implemented the following simple self-help anxiety breathing technique that you can apply anywhere.

I present to you...

The Anywhere/Anytime Self-Help Anxiety Breathing Technique

1. Take in a deep breath through your nose (keep your eyes open, especially if driving or moving in general).

2. Count to 5 while holding it in. As you do this, feel the oxygen permeate every cell of your body.

3. Gently, breathe out your mouth. Feel those same cells that were infused with oxygen simultaneously release any anxiety your were previously feeling.

4. Repeat this process for a total of 10 breaths and your bound to feel a world of difference when thinking about the state you were in prior to the exercise.

This works for me without fail, whether I'm in the car, standing in line, or arguing with a loved one. Remember to try it the next time you feel anxiety trying to take over, and check back soon for some more self-help anxiety curing strategies.

No comments: